Thursday, July 1, 2010

Joe Willie On The Shrimpbox: Listen!

Can anyone do ANYTHING these days, without a cell phone stuck to their ear or a pair of ear buds or headphones? Put it down and listen to the world around you…the sound of children playing in a park or at the pool, hollering and yelling at each other…”hey give me back my I-Pod”, “give me back my video game!”…listen to the bees buzzing…or your drunk buzzing neighbor buzzing and then cussing anyone around him cause the liquor store has already closed. Listen to sounds on the street…the passing cars…the un-mufflered trucks and motorcycles…the working girls in Arco trying to get your attention as you drive by…”hey mister…”…the sound of yankees on the pier…”I really like it here, but the heat and the bugs…and these fireworks bring over too many commoners to the island…”you know, come to think of it, maybe the folks with the ear buds and phones stuck to their ears are onto something…maybe it’s better to drown the world around us…and get back to something a little calmer…forget all that stuff…just crank up the radio…we’ll give you what you need.

No comments: